A six-year-old girl was tragically discovered deceased several days after making a desperate plea for assistance

by Abbas Adil

Shafaqna India: Six-year-old Hind Rajab pleaded to be rescued, after her family’s car came under fire in war-ravaged Gaza City, leaving her alone, frightened and injured, surrounded by the bodies of her dead relatives.

“I am so scared,” she had said in a desperate phone call to the Palestine Red Crescent Society. “Call someone to come get me, please.” But after more than two weeks of frantic efforts to reach her, Hind’s body was recovered on Saturday, alongside relatives and two PRCS rescue workers sent to find her.

The aid agency and the health ministry in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip confirmed the grim discovery, and blamed Israeli forces. Hamas urged human rights groups and the international community to document what it called a “horrific crime”.

Hind’s highly publicised case comes as aid agencies warn that children and families are bearing the brunt of Israel’s war with Hamas. Children are dying “at an alarming rate” in Gaza, the UN children’s agency Unicef said.

Thousands have been killed and many more injured, with others at risk because of lack of food, water and medicine, the UN children’s agency said.

Hind was last heard from after becoming trapped in the family’s vehicle with other relatives as they tried to flee Gaza City from an Israel advance. “Hind and everyone else in the car is martyred,” the girl’s grandfather, Baha Hamada, said on Saturday.

A number of family members found them when they went to Gaza City’s Tel al-Hawa area looking for the car near a petrol station where it had last been spotted, he said.

“They were able to reach the area because Israeli forces withdrew early at dawn today,” added Hamada, one of the last people to speak to the girl on the telephone.

“She was killed by (Israeli) occupation forces with all those who were with her in the car outside the petrol station in Tel al-Hawa,” the ministry said in a statement.

The Palestine Red Crescent said that the Israeli military “deliberately targeted the ambulance upon its arrival at the scene” despite “prior coordination” allowing it through.

Earlier this week, family members had said the group found their way in the path of Israeli tanks and were fired on as they tried to flee.

Dawn News

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.