In a recent study, experts may have unraveled the mystery surrounding dark matter

by Abbas Adil

Shafaqna India: A recent publication may have finally provided insights into the enigmatic nature of dark matter, a puzzle that has confounded scientists for decades. According to Live Science, the study, recently published in arXiv, proposes that waves of dark matter interacting with Earth’s upper atmosphere could generate detectable radio signals, offering a potential avenue for studying this mysterious component of the universe.

Astronomers have long inferred the existence of dark matter from observations of galaxies and other large-scale structures in the cosmos. To delve deeper into this phenomenon, the European Space Agency (ESA) launched its inaugural probe Euclid, specifically designed to investigate dark matter and dark energy. Launched aboard Elon Musk’s Falcon 9 rocket on July 1 of the previous year, the ESA’s mission aimed to shed light on the elusive substance, which, though invisible and non-luminous, is believed to constitute about 85% of the universe, with ordinary matter comprising the remaining 15%.

Despite its pervasive influence through gravitational effects, the composition of dark matter remains a profound mystery. In the recent study, researchers explored models of ultralight dark matter that exhibit minimal interaction with ordinary matter, making their detection exceedingly challenging. However, the study suggests that when dark matter interacts with plasma and its wave frequency aligns with that of plasma waves, it could generate radio waves.

Experts speculate that the ionosphere, a thin layer of Earth’s upper atmosphere rich in charged particles, could serve as the site where these waves are generated, albeit at levels difficult to detect. This discovery offers a promising avenue for unraveling the secrets of dark matter and furthering our understanding of the universe’s composition and evolution.

You may also like

Leave a Comment